Dr Saptarshi Das
Senior Lecturer in Mathematics (E&R)
Saptarshi is an interdisciplinary AI and data scientist with background in control and power engineering. His present research interests include dynamical systems and control theory, big data analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, signal processing, and fractional calculus in diverse applications in energy, environment, and biomedical engineering. He is particularly interested in understanding the role of quality of data in diverse engineering system design and decision science problems at the interface between intelligent systems and data science, statistical methods for analysing both real-world and simulated data from large and complex mathematical and computational models of low to high dimensional systems.
Details of recent research highlights are available on the Environmental Mathematics group webpage. Saptarshi is also the Institute for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (IDSAI) theme lead for the Cornwall Research Hub.
Saptarshi Das received B.E. and M.E. in Power Engineering and Ph.D. (Engineering) all from Jadavpur University, India in 2007, 2010, and 2013 respectively. He got the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India scholarship for his master's study and Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India fellowship for his doctoral study. He worked as a Graduate Engineering Trainee in ALSTOM Projects India Ltd. during June 2007-May 2008. During June 2012-March 2015 he worked as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the School of Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton, UK where he contributed in three EU projects related to bio-signal processing and machine learning. From April 2015-August 2015, he worked as a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Strathclyde, UK related to distributed intelligence and control of smart grids. During September 2015-August 2017, he has worked as a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Cavendish Astrophysics Group, Department of Physics, University of Cambridge, UK on collaborative projects with Royal Dutch Shell plc. related to machine learning and Bayesian inference in geophysics. He joined the Department of Mathematics, College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter, Penryn Campus, UK, as a Lecturer in September 2017 where currently he is a Senior Lecturer since April 2021. He has co-authored 2 books and more than 110 research papers in refereed scientific journals, conferences, and book chapters. His full list of publications is available at:
Google Scholar (h-index = 34),
Scopus, Researchgate, Orcid, Publons, AMS MathSciNet, AD Scientific Index, Linkedin, Twitter.
applied mathematics, dynamical systems, control theory, fractional calculus, artificial intelligence, optimization, signal processing, machine learning, big data analytics, pattern recognition, statistical inference, computational and mathematical modeling, energy and power engineering, environment and geosciences, biomedical engineering
- April 2021 - till date: Senior Lecturer at the Department of Mathematics, College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter, Penryn Campus, United Kingdom
- September 2017 - March 2021: Lecturer at the Department of Mathematics, College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter, Penryn Campus, United Kingdom.
- September 2015 - August 2017: Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Astrophysics Group, Cavendish Laboratory, Department of Physics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- April 2015 - August 2015: Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Institute for Energy and Environment (InstEE), Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering (EEE), University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
- June 2012 - March 2015: Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the School of Electronics and Computer Science (ECS), University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom.
- December 2008 - May 2012: Guest Faculty in the Department of Power Engineering, Jadavpur University, Salt Lake Campus, Kolkata, India.
- June 2007 - May 2008: Graduate Engineering Trainee, ALSTOM Projects India Ltd., Durgapur, India.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PCAP), University of Exeter, UK (June 2018 - September 2019),
- Ph.D. in Engineering, School of Nuclear Studies & Applications, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India (June 2010 - May 2012),
- M.E. in Power Engineering, Department of Power Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India (June 2008 - May 2010),
- B.E. in Power Engineering, Department of Power Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India (June 2003 - May 2007).
Professional Membership: IEEE
Collaboration Distance on AMS MathSciNet:
- Erdos Number: Saptarshi Das (5) - Koushik Maharatna (4) - K. Sridharan (3) - C. R. Subramanian (2) - Joel H. Spencer (1) - Paul Erdos (0)
- Einstein Number: Saptarshi Das (6) - Michael P. Hobson (5) - Jonathan R. Gair (4) - Curt J. Cutler (3) - Ezra Ted Newman (2) - Peter Gabriel Bergmann (1) - Albert Einstein (0)
Open PhD/Post-doctoral Positions:
- Many PhD studentships are available through EPSRC DTP in Environmental Mathematics, Dept of Earth and Environmental Sciences and many other areas. Please encourage students with a good MSc degree and prior scientific publishing experience to apply. Students need to find a suitable supervisor to agree on a project and submit a research proposal (upto 1000 words). Deadline: 27th February 2023, url: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/funding/award/?id=4659
- There is no post-doctoral opening right now. However, strong candidates are encouraged to send CV, list of publications and research plan to discuss further for fellowship applications.