Prof Peter Cox
Professor, Director of Global Systems Institute
Telephone: 01392 725220 or 01392 722223
Extension: (Streatham) 5220 or (Streatham) 2223
Professor of Climate System Dynamics in Mathematics at the University of Exeter (since 2006), having previously worked at the Met Office-Hadley Centre (1990-2004) and the UK Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (2004-2006). A lead-author on the last three Assessment Reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC AR4, AR5, AR6), and a highly-cited author in Geosciences.
Offering to supervise self-funded PhD studentships in the areas of:
- Interactions and feedbacks between the and-surface and climate
- Dynamic Global Vegetation Modelling
- Emergent constraints on climate-carbon cycle feedbacks
Opportunities for funded studentships are described here: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/pg-research/money/
- Professor of Climate System Dynamics within the Climate Dynamics group of Mathematics.
- CEMPS Deputy Associate Dean for Research for REF & Impact.
- Academic lead/sponsor for the Undergraduate Grand Challenges programme.
- Module leader for GEOM142: Climate Change Science & Solutions
- Holder of an ERC Advanced Grant (ECCLES).
- Member of the Science Advisory Council for the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Lead-author for the 6th Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
Current research interests
- Emergent Constraints on Earth System Sensitivities (ECCLES ERC project).
- Theoretical relationships between climate variability and climate sensitivity (ECCLES ERC project)
- Vegetation Dynamics and Demography (developing the RED model)
- Improving the representation of land-surafce processes in JULES (e.g. SOX model).
Publications and citations
- Dr Sarah Chadburn (Permafrost Modelling - NERC fellowship).
- Dr Jon Moore (Vegetation Demography and Data Analysis - ERC ECCLES project).
- Dr Paul Ritchie (Tipping Points and Emergent Constraints - ERC ECCLES roject).
- Dr Mark Williamson (Theoretical Basis for Emergent Constraints - EU CRESCENDO project).
Associated PhD students
- Arthur Argles (Vegetation Demography and Disturbance - College/Met Office studentship).
- Simon Jones (Non-structural carbohydrates in JULES - Anna Harper's student).
- Rebecca Millington (Biodiversity and Ecosystem Resilience - QUEX studentship).
- Femke Nijsse (Theroretical Basis for Emergent Constraints - ERC ECCLES project).
- Becky Varney (Emergent Constraints on the Terrestrial Carbon Cycle - ERC ECCLES project).
- Joe Clarke (Rate-dependent Tipping Points - ERC ECCLES project).
Working groups, committees and wider recognition
- Lead-author on the IPCC AR4, AR5 and AR6 reports.
- Member of the REF2014 panel for UoA7 (2011-2014).
- Member of the NERC Science Board (2014-2017).
- Highly-cited author 2014 - 2019.
- Winner of Royal Met Soc Adrian Gill Award 2007
- "What if?", internet trailer, March 2019
- "The Tipping Points" - various countries, 2014.
- "High Anxieties: The Mathematics of Chaos" - BBC4, 14th October 2008
- "Climate Change: Britain Under Threat" - BBC1, 21st January 2007
- "Dimming the Sun" - PBS, 5th August 2006
- "Can We Save Planet Earth" - BBC1, 31st May 2006
- "Are We Changing Planet Earth" - BBC1, 24th May 2006
- "Global Dimming" - BBC1, Horizon, February 2005
- "The Venus Theory" - Finnish TV, 2004
- "The Day the Ocean Boiled" - Channel 4, Equinox, June 2001