Prof James Screen
Professor (Chair) in Climate Science
Telephone: 01392 726408
Extension: (Streatham) 6408
Follow me on Twitter: @polar_james
Dr Screen is a Professor (Chair) in Climate Science within the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences. He current research focuses on the climate of the Polar Regions and how Arctic sea-ice loss influences mid-latitude weather and climate. His work has significantly advanced scientific understanding of the causes, and global effects, of rapid Arctic climate change. Dr Screen is an internationally recognised expert in modelling the climate response to Arctic sea ice changes.
Dr Screen held a prestigous NERC Fellowship from 2012-2015. His achievements have been recognized by the awards of the International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences Early Career Scientist Medal in 2013 and a Philip Leverhulme Prize in 2015. He is an Editor for the Journal of Climate.
- Climate variability and change
- Arctic Amplification, its causes and impacts
- Role of sea ice in the climate system
- Climate impacts of Arctic sea ice loss
I am happy to hear from prospective PhD students or Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants interested in the above research areas.
A full list of publications and citations can be found here.
- Lo, Y. D. Mitchell,P. Watson & J.A. Screen, 2022: Cold weather teleconnections from future Arctic sea ice loss and ocean warming. Geophys. Res. Lett., submitted.
- Screen, J.A., R. Eade, D.M. Smith, S. Thomson & H. Yu, 2022: Observationally constrained equatorward shift of the jet streams in response to ocean warming and sea-ice loss combined. Geophys. Res. Lett., submitted.
- Walsh, A, J.A. Screen, A.A. Scaife & D. Smith, 2022: Nonlinear response of the extratropics to tropical climate variability. Geophys. Res. Lett., in revision.
- Williams, N., A.A. Scaife & J.A. Screen, 2022: Underpredicted ENSO teleconnections in seasonal forecasts. Geophys. Res. Lett., in revision.
- Ye, K, T. Woollings & J.A. Screen, 2022: European climate response to Arctic sea ice loss dominated by change in the North Atlantic jet. Geophys. Res. Lett., in revision.
- Xu, M., J. Zhang, J.A. Screen, C. Zhang & Z. Wang, 2022: Important role of stratosphere-troposphere coupling in the Arctic mid-to-upper tropospheric warming in response to sea-ice loss. npj Climate and Atmospheric Science, revised.
- Oltmanns, M., N.P. Holliday, J.A. Screen, D.G. Evans, S.A. Josey & B. Moat, 2022: North Atlantic freshwater events influence European weather in subsequent summers. Weather Clim. Dyn., revised.
- Zhang, T., K. van der Wiel, T. Wei, J.A. Screen, X. Yue, B. Zheng, F. Selten, R. Bintanja, W. Anderson, R. Blackport, S. Glomsrod, Y. Liu, X. Cui & X. Yang, 2022: Increased wheat price spikes and larger economic inequality with 2 °C global warming. One Earth, 5, 907-916..
- Zhang, R. & J.A. Screen, 2022: Arctic and Pacific Ocean conditions were favourable for cold extremes over Eurasia and North America during winter 2020/21. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., accepted.
- Ayres, H.C, J.A. Screen, E. Blockley & T.J. Bracegirdle, 2022: The coupled atmosphere-ocean response to Antarctic sea-ice loss. J. Clim., 35, 4665-4685.
- Hay, S., P.J. Kushner, R. Blackport, K.E. McCusker, T. Oudar, L. Sun, M. England, C. Deser, J.A. Screen & L. Polvani, 2022: Separating the influences of low-latitude warming and sea-ice loss on Northern Hemisphere climate change. J. Clim., 35, 2327-2349.
- Blackport, R., J.C. Fyfe & J.A. Screen, 2022: Arctic change reduces risk of cold extremes. Science, 375, 729.
- Smith, D., R. Eade, M. Andrews, H. Ayres, A. Clark, S. Chripko, C. Deser, N. Dunstone, J. Garcia-Serrano, G. Gastineau, L. Graff, S. Hardiman, B. He, L. Hermanson, T. Jung, J. Knight, X. Levine, G. Magnusdottir, E. Manzini, D. Matei, M. Mori, R. Msadek, P. Ortega, Y. Peings, A. Scaife, J.A. Screen, M. Seabrook, T. Semmler, M. Sigmond, J. Streffing, L. Sun & A. Walsh, 2022: Robust but weak winter atmospheric circulation response to future Arctic sea ice loss. Nature Commun., 13, 727.
- McCrystall, M.R., J.C. Stroeve, M.C. Serreze, B.C. Forbes & J.A. Screen, 2021: New climate models reveal faster and larger increases in Arctic precipitation then previously projected. Nature Commun., 12, 6765.
- Xu, M., W. Tian, J. Zhang, J.A. Screen, J. Huang, K Qie & T. Wang, 2021: Distinct tropospheric and stratospheric mechanisms linking historical Barents-Kara sea-ice loss and late winter Eurasian temperature variability. Geophys. Res. Lett., 20, e2021GL095262.
- Blackport, R., J.C. Fyfe & J.A. Screen, 2021: Decreasing subseasonal temperature variability in the northern extratropics attributed to human influence. Nature Geosci., 14, 719-723.
- Screen, J.A., 2021: An ice-free Arctic: what could it mean for European weather? Weather, 76, 327-328.
- Xu, P., L. Wang, G. Vallis, R. Geen, J.A. Screen, P. Wu, S. Ding, P. Huang & W. Chen, 2021: Amplified waveguide teleconnections along the polar front jet favor temperature extremes over northern Eurasia. Geophys. Res. Lett., 48, e2021GL093735,
- Zhang, R. & J.A. Screen, 2021: Diverse Eurasian winter temperature responses to Barents-Kara sea ice anomalies of different magnitudes and seasonality. Geophys. Res. Lett., 48, e2021GL092726.
- McCrystall, M. & J.A. Screen, 2021: Arctic winter temperature variations correlated with ENSO are dependent on coincidental sea ice changes. Geophys. Res. Lett., 48, e2020GL091519.
- Blackport, R. & J.A. Screen, 2021: Observed statistical connections overestimate the causal effects of Arctic sea-ice changes on midlatitude winter climate. J. Clim., 34, 3021-3038.
- Blackport, R. & J.A. Screen, 2020: Weakened evidence for mid-latitude impacts of Arctic warming. Nature. Clim. Change, 10, 1065-1666.
- Osborne, J.M., M. Collins, J.A. Screen, S.I. Thomson & N. Dunstone, 2020: The North Atlantic as a driver of summer atmospheric circulation. J. Clim., 33, 7335-7351.
- Deser, C., F. Lehner, K. Rodgers, T. Ault, T. Delworth, P.N. DiNezio, A. Fiore, C. Frankignoul, J.C. Fyfe, D.E. Horton, J.E. Kay, R. Knutti, N. Lovenduski, J. Marotzke, K. A. McKinnon, S. Minobe, J. Randerson, J.A. Screen, I.R. Simpson & M. Ting, 2020: Insights from Earth system model initial-condition large ensembles and future prospects. Nature Clim. Change, 10, 277-286.
- Kelleher, M., B. Ayarzagüena & J.A. Screen, 2020: Inter-seasonal connections between the timing of the stratospheric final warming and Arctic sea ice. J. Clim., 33, 3079-3092.
- van der Wiel, K., F. Selten, R. Bintanja, R. Blackport & J.A. Screen, 2020: Ensemble climate-impact modelling: extreme impacts from moderate meteorological conditions. Environ. Res. Lett., 15, 034050.
- Blackport, R. & J.A. Screen, 2020: Insignificant effect of Arctic amplification on the amplitude of mid-latitude atmospheric waves. Sci. Adv., 6, eaay2880.
- Halloran, P., I. Hall, M. Menary, D. Reynolds, J. Scourse, J.A. Screen, A. Bozzo, N. Dunstone, S. Phipps. A. Schurer, T. Sueyoshi, T. Zhou and F. Garry, 2020: Natural drivers of multidecadal Arctic sea ice variability over the last millennium. Sci. Rep., 10, 688.
- Warner, J.L., J.A. Screen & A.A. Scaife, 2020: Links between Barents-Kara sea ice and the extratropical atmospheric circulation explained by internal variability and tropical forcing. Geophys. Res. Lett., 47, e2019GL085679.
- Screen, J.A. & R. Blackport, 2019: Is sea-ice-driven Eurasian cooling too weak in models? Nature Clim. Change, 9, 934-936.
- Screen, J.A. & R. Blackport, 2019: How robust is the atmospheric response to projected Arctic sea-ice loss across climate models? Geophys. Res. Lett., 46, 11406-11415.
- van der Wiel, K., H. Bloomfield, R. Lee, L. Stoop, R. Blackport, J.A. Screen & F. Selten, 2019: The influence of weather regimes on European renewable energy production and demand. Environ. Res. Lett., 14, 9.
- Ayres, H. & J.A. Screen, 2019: Multimodel analysis of the atmospheric response to Antarctic sea ice loss at quadrupled CO2. Geophys. Res. Lett., 46, 9861-9869.
- Blackport, R., J.A. Screen, K. van der Wiel & R. Bintanja, 2019: Minimal influence of reduced Arctic sea ice on coincident cold winters in mid-latitudes. Nature Clim. Change, 9, 697-704.
- Kolstad, E.W. & J.A. Screen, 2019: Non-stationary relationship between autumn Arctic sea ice and the winter North Atlantic Oscillation. Geophys. Res. Lett., 46, 7583-7591.
- Blackport, R. & J.A. Screen, 2019: Influence of Arctic sea-ice loss in autumn compared to that in winter on the atmospheric circulation. Geophys. Res. Lett., 46, 2213-2221.
- Screen, J.A. & C. Deser, 2019: Pacific Ocean variability influences the time of emergence of a seasonally ice-free Arctic Ocean. Geophys. Res. Lett., 46, 2222-2231.
- Smith, D.M., J.A. Screen, C. Deser, J. Cohen, J. Fyfe, J. Garcia-Serrano, T. Jung, V. Kattsov, D. Matei, R. Msadek, Y. Peings, M. Sigmond, J. Ukita, J.-H. Yoon & X. Zhang, 2019: The Polar Amplification Model Intercomparison Project (PAMIP) contribution to CMIP6: investigating the causes and consequences of polar amplification. Geosci. Model Dev., 12, 1139-1164.
- Screen, J.A., T.J. Bracegirdle & I. Simmonds, 2018: Polar climate change as manisfest in atmospheric circulation. Curr. Clim. Change Rep., 4, 383-395.
- Screen, J.A., 2018: Arctic sea ice at 1.5 and 2 °C, Nature Clim. Change, 8, 362-363.
- Screen, J.A., C. Deser, D.M. Smith, X. Zhang, R. Blackport, P.J. Kushner, T. Oudar, K.E. McCusker & L. Sun, 2018: Consistency and discrepancy in the atmospheric response to Arctic sea ice loss across climate models, Nature Geosci., 11, 153-163.
- Kelleher, M. & J.A. Screen, 2018: Atmospheric precursors of and response to anomalous Arctic sea ice in CMIP5 models, Adv. Atmos. Sci., 35, 27-37.
- Lee, S., T. Gong, S.B. Feldstein, J.A. Screen & I. Simmonds, 2017: Revisiting the cause of the 1989-2009 Arctic surface warming using the surface energy budget: downward infrared radiation dominates the surface fluxes, Geophys. Res. Lett., 44, 10654-10661.
- Screen, J.A., 2017: Far-flung effects of Arctic warming, Nature Geosci., 10, 253-254.
- Screen, J.A. & D. Williamson, 2017: Ice-free Arctic at 1.5°C?, Nature Clim. Change, 7, 230-231.
- Screen, J.A., 2017: The missing Northern European cooling response to Arctic sea ice loss, Nature Commun., 8, 14603.
- Screen, J.A., 2017: Simulated atmospheric response to regional and pan-Arctic sea ice loss, J. Clim., 30, 3945-3962.
- Osborne, J.M., J.A. Screen & M. Collins, 2017: Ocean-atmospheric state dependence of the atmospheric response to Arctic sea ice loss, J. Clim., 30, 1537-1552.
- Overland, J.E., K. Dethloff, J.A. Francis, R.J. Hall, E. Hanna, S.-J. Kim, J.A. Screen, T.G. Shepherd & T. Vihma, 2016: Nonlinear response of midlatitude weather to the changing Arctic, Nature Clim. Change, 6, 992-999.
- Screen, J.A. & J.A. Francis, 2016: Contribution of sea-ice loss to Arctic amplification is regulated by Pacific Ocean decadal variability, Nature Clim. Change, 6, 856-860.
- Ayarzagüena, B. & J.A. Screen, 2016: Future Arctic sea-ice loss reduces severity of cold air outbreaks in midlatitudes, Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, 2801-2809.
- Vihma, T., J.A. Screen, M. Tjernstrom, B. Newton, X. Zhang, V. Popova, C. Deser, M. Holland & T. Prowse, 2016: The atmospheric role in the Arctic water cycle: A review on processes, past and future changes, and their impacts, J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosci., 121, 586-620.
- Lique, C., M. Holland, Y. Dibike, D. Lawrence & J.A. Screen, 2016: Modeling the Arctic freshwater system and its integration in the global system: Lessons learned and future challenges, J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosci., 121, 540-566.
- Deser, C., R. Tomas, L. Sun & J.A. Screen, 2016: Does ocean coupling matter for the northern extra-tropical response to projected Arctic sea ice loss?, Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, doi:10.1002/2016GL067792
- Screen, J.A., C. Deser & L. Sun, 2015: Projected changes in regional climate extremes arising from Arctic sea ice loss, Environ. Res. Lett., 10, 084006 [PDF]
- Huntingford, C., T. Marsh, A.A. Scaife, E.J. Kendon, J. Hannaford, A.L. Kay, M. Lockwood, C. Prudhomme, N.S. Reynard, S. Parry, J.A. Lowe, J.A. Screen, H.C. Ward, M. Roberts, P.A. Stott, V.A. Bell, M. Bailey, A. Jenkins, T. Legg, F.E.L. Otto, N. Massey, N. Schaller, J. Slingo & M.R. Allen, 2015: Reply to 'Drivers of the 2013/14 winter floods in the UK', Nature Clim. Change, 5, 491-492
- Barnes, E.A. & J.A. Screen, 2015: The impact of Arctic warming on the midlatitude jetstream: Can it? Has it? Will it?, WIREs Climate Change, 6, 277-286
- Screen, J.A., C. Deser & L. Sun, 2015: Reduced risk of North American cold extremes due to continued Arctic sea ice loss, Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 96, 1489-1503 [PDF]
- Huntingford, C., T. Marsh, A.A. Scaife, E.J. Kendon, J. Hannaford, A.L. Kay, M. Lockwood, C. Prudhomme, N.S. Reynard, S. Parry, J.A. Lowe, J.A. Screen, H.C. Ward, M. Roberts, P.A. Stott, V.A. Bell, M. Bailey, A. Jenkins, T. Legg, F.E.L. Otto, N. Massey, N. Schaller, J. Slingo & M.R. Allen, 2014: Potential influences in the United Kingdom's floods of winter 2013/14, Nature Clim. Change, 4, 769-777
- Cohen, J., J.A. Screen, J.C. Furtado, M. Barlow, D. Whittleston, D. Coumou, J. Francis, K. Dethloff, D. Entekhabi, J. Overland & J. Jones, 2014: Recent Arctic amplification and extreme mid-latitude weather, Nature Geosci., 7, 627-637
- Screen, J.A. & I. Simmonds, 2014: Amplified mid-latitude planetary waves favour particular regional weather extremes, Nature Clim. Change, 4, 704-709
- Screen, J.A., 2014: Arctic amplification decreases temperature variance in northern mid- to high-latitudes, Nature Clim. Change, 4, 577-582
- Screen, J.A., C. Deser, I. Simmonds & R. Tomas, 2014: Atmospheric impacts of Arctic sea-ice loss, 1979-2009: Separating forced change from atmospheric internal variability, Clim. Dyn., 43, 333-344 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A., 2013: Influence of Arctic sea ice on European summer precipitation, Environ. Res. Lett., 8, 044015 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A. & I. Simmonds, 2013: Caution needed when linking weather extremes to amplified planetary waves, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, doi:10.1073/pnas.1304867110 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A. & I. Simmonds, 2013: Exploring links between Arctic amplification and mid-latitude weather, Geophys. Res. Lett., 40, 959-964 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A., I. Simmonds, C. Deser & R. Tomas, 2013: The atmospheric response to three decades of observed Arctic sea ice loss, J. Clim., 26, 1230-1248 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A. & I. Simmonds, 2012: Half-century air temperature change above Antarctica: Observed trends and spatial reconstructions, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 117, D16108, doi:10.1029/2012JD017885 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A., C. Deser & I. Simmonds, 2012: Local and remote controls on observed Arctic warming, Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L10709, doi:10.1029/2012GL051598 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A. & I Simmonds, 2012: Declining summer snowfall in the Arctic: Causes, impacts and feedbacks, Clim. Dyn., 38, 2243-2256 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A., I. Simmonds & K. Keay, 2011: Dramatic inter-annual changes of perennial Arctic sea ice linked to abnormal summer storm activity, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 116, D15105, doi:10.1029/2011JD015847 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A., 2011: Sudden increase in Antarctic sea ice: Fact or Artifact?, Geophys. Res. Lett., 38, L13702, doi:10.1029/2011GL047553 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A. & I. Simmonds, 2011: Erroneous Arctic temperature trends in the ERA-40 reanalysis: a closer look, J. Clim., 24, 2620-2627 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A. & I. Simmonds, 2010: Increasing fall-winter energy loss from the Arctic Ocean and its role in Arctic temperature amplification, Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L16797, doi:10.1029/2010GL044136 [PDF]
- Screen, J.A. & I. Simmonds, 2010: The central role of diminishing sea ice in recent Arctic temperature amplification, Nature, 464, 1334-1337 [PDF]